Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Tuesday, October 04, 2005

300 Tang Dynasty Poems: #7 In Spring


The anthology, 300 Tang Dynasty Poems contains some of the finest works of the Golden Age of Poetry from the Tang Dynasty in China. If you click on the title of this post, you'll be directed to an online version of the anthology.

Li Bai is an alternate reading of Li Po, of whom I had written earlier. He was considered the greatest of the Tang Dynasty Poets.

Five-character-ancient-verse
Li Bai
IN SPRING
Your grasses up north are as blue as jade,
Our mulberries here curve green-threaded branches;
And at last you think of returning home,
Now when my heart is almost broken....

O breeze of the spring, since I dare not know you,
Why part the silk curtains by my bed?

No comments: