Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Sunday, July 09, 2006

Media weekend


On Friday, I picked up a book at Barnes and Noble for $14.98: 100 Views of Edo by Ando Hiroshige (ISBN: 0760772916). It's a beautiful volume. Each of the woodblock prints faces text which describes the scene, what it was like in Hiroshige's time, it's significance, etc.

I saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. It was a lot of fun, but I was disappointed that there was no fencing sequence that even came close to the one in the first movie; and the ending left me unsatisfied. Kiera Knightly could use to eat a sandwich. Lovely girl, but way too skinny.

Finally, I saw The Last Samurai on cable. The cinematography and costumes were fabulous. I only wished the fighting sequences were a little less flashy, and more "classic." I was able to pick out some words in Japanese, so I'm coming along on that front.

No comments: