Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chen Style Taijiquan Practical Method



Shang Lee, over at The Journey Within has begun translating a Chinese text on the Chen Style Taijiquan Practical Method. An excerpt is below. The first part of the translation may be read by clicking here. I am sure it will be a series that you want to follow. Enjoy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a translation and my interpretation of the text written by Sun Zhonghua. He is the 19th generation standard bearer of Chen Style Taijiquan and a 2nd generation standard bearer of Hunyuan Tai Ji Academy. I hope I did it justice with my translation, and didn’t lose the spirit he is trying to convey. I have to split it in parts as this is a long article and it’ll probably take me some time to translate. Also, I’m savouring the text. It’s great reading it the second time round. :) Hope you enjoy it. You can find the full text here if you can read Chinese.

Foreword:

People train in martial arts for a variety of reasons, but if there is someone who is in love with martial arts to the point of addiction, this must be caused by a rare gene in his DNA. The evolution of this gene would most likely come from hunting and the battles that the previous generations have to fight, where those instincts are then secretly passed on to these “martial art addicts”. History has shown that even with the ban on martial arts or the downplay of martial arts to give way to a more “civilized” way of learning, all did not manage to suppress this rare gene from being passed down through the generations.

No comments: