Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving. I think that this is my favorite holiday because it is so family oriented, and it's just been in recent years that the commercialization (Black Friday) has been creeping in.

The fellow in the picture isn't a turkey, thank God. It's a Cassowary. That we don't have to hunt down Cassowaries with our bare hands for Thansgiving dinners is a blessing. They can get up to nearly 6' tall and weigh over 100 lbs. Just to make it interesting, they have a 5" long spike on each claw that they could impale you with.

All that being said, I bet they taste great with the right gravy.


2 comments:

Paul said...

That reminds me many years ago in Mainland China a friend brought us to a "farm place" for dinner. And my wife spotted a poor big peacock caged in a tiny enclosure, lost most of her bright feathers, looking timidly at my wife. The waiter reckoned that my wife was interested in the animal. He, with a broad smile, told her, "That will cost 550 yuen, all inclusive, and I recommend braising it". My wife nearly fainted.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rick Matz said...

Haha. Thanks!