Here at the frontier, the leaves fall like rain. Although my neighbors are all barbarians, and you, you are a thousand miles away, there are still two cups at my table.


Ten thousand flowers in spring, the moon in autumn, a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter. If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.

~ Wu-men ~


Saturday, July 12, 2014

Are You a Fighter?

Below is an excerpt from a post at The Title Blog. It applies to more than just stepping into a ring or onto a dojo floor. The whole post may be read here.

Let’s be real. Not everyone is capable of being a fighter.  It may be in everyone’s DNA, but without that everyday exposure to their survival instincts they lose touch and that natural mind/body connection gets lost.  What it takes, physically and mentally to fight, becomes foreign and feels awkward. They may try, practice and want to fight, but just don’t have what it takes.  Everyone was born with an inherent ability to fight for survival, but not everyone was born to be a competitive boxer.
Sure, most anyone can learn to “box” to varying degrees of success and aspire to call themselves boxers, but in the ring and in the gym you have to prove yourself worthy of being able to call yourself a real fighter.

So here it is….completely subjective, without judgment or malice….just keeping it real. Ask yourself if these sound like you.  Answer honestly and objectively and the self-analysis could be worthwhile and could even change how you approach the sport.

The Top Ten Signs that Say “I am a Real Fighter.”
  

1.  I show up.
2.  I make weight. 
3.  I conduct myself like a professional in and out of the ring.
4.  I honor the gym and the people in it.
5.  I keep my word.
6.  I have heart.
7.  I have a vision for my career.
8.  I have my priorities straight.
9. I don’t have a sense of entitlement.
10. I don’t quit easily.          

2 comments:

Zacky Chan said...

Great info! It's funny you can take kyudo, an art far separated from what most would consider "fighting", and yet it's still the same. There's a big difference between the "fighters" and "non-fighters", and it's easy to see. Thanks for the post!

Rick Matz said...

I always look forward to reading about your kyudo practice.